Monday 20 July 2015

The Joys of Painting


The Fence


Our dream is to live in a white beach house reminiscent of the Greek islands and the French Riviera. To this end, I resolved to paint the perimeter fence white. I started painting the fence a few days ago. However, I had under-estimated the time it takes to paint a wooden fence, which is 30 metres long and 17 metres wide. To add insult to injury, there are weeds growing below the fence so I have to tear them all out in order to be able to paint the fence properly.



Also, the wood is quite weather worn and while I am applying a generous coat of paint, I think the wood still looks rather brown. Oh well…I tell myself that it is simply a whitewash. But my darling other half insists that the fence needs a second coating as it has to be white. He is, of course, right. There are, however, 188 metres of fence that need to be painted twice over! To be honest, painting can be meditative.

the fence - before





the fence - after one coating




Tip: For a more economical (in asia) and longer-lasting effect, thin your wood paint with petrol instead of thinner. Wood tends to absorb the paint more and will not peel away, which means it lasts longer but will need a second coating.

No comments:

Post a Comment